Conservation and Restoration Services
Joel Oppenheimer, Inc. is renowned for its state-of-the-art conservation and restoration laboratory. Our facility services museums, collectors and dealers throughout the nation. Our staff can analyze and perform corrective treatments for works of art on paper, paintings on canvas and photographic materials. At times the conservation lab parallels a hospital emergency room. We treat pictures that have suffered everything from floods to bullet holes. The problems we encounter and dramatic results we often achieve are impressive:
• Embrittled paper can be rehydrated and supported with special tissues made from Japanese Mulberry paper.
• Fragmenting and tears can be effectively repaired
• Stains resulting from water, pressure-sensitive tapes, glues, mold or mildew (foxing) and rust often can be eradicated or significantly reduced.
• Pieces that have been improperly mounted or glued down to boards can usually be removed from mounts and all glue residues eliminated.
• Pigments that are "cupping" or flaking off can be consolidated and stabilized.
• Varnish and lacquers can be removed from most surfaces.
• Folds can be removed or significantly reduced with controlled humidification and drying procedures.
• Cockling, or aviness from exposure to excessive water or humidity, can be reversed.
• Paintings can be relined with new canvas if the integrity of the original canvas jeopardizes the paint surface.
The anticipated results are discussed with clients before proceeding with any treatment. Our vast experience with works of art and objects on paper, canvas and photographic materials allows us to accurately predict the degree of success of a treatment. For additional assurance, we frequently secure permission to test a piece before proceeding with any work. Please direct interest towards firstname.lastname@example.org
. All inquiries are received with pleasure.
A comprehensive booklet on our conservation and restoration services is available free of charge at your request.
The Wrigley Building, 410 N. Michigan Ave. Chicago, IL 60611 (312)-642-5300
The Audubon Gallery, 190 King St. Charleston, SC 29401 (843)-853-1100